Friday, May 15, 2009

Me and Mrs. Jones

In wonderful and offbeat news this morning, The Daily Mail is reporting that author Helen Fielding is developing a stage musical for London's West End based on lovable singleton Bridget Jones. I couldn't be more thrilled.

My love for Miss Jones is no secret. When I did that law program in Carlisle in 2003 (why does this keep popping up this week?), a bunch of us started a summer book club. Bridget Jones's Diary was someone's choice for first entry. After a July and August spent traveling from Philly to Boston, New York to Hong Kong, it returned to me tattered and well-loved, notes scribbled in the margins and choice excerpts highlighted. The film's even better -- featuring a raucous star turn from Renee Zellweger (this was on her last legs of likability, and she was soon to squander her Jerry Maguire/Nurse Betty potential in overly self-aware Oscar bait like Cold Mountain and Cinderella Man) and a brigade of unendingly quotable goofy lines. It was the last film I saw at the late, great Clearview Cinemas in New City, adjacent to the late, great Bradlee's and the late, great Pizza Hut. I'm even one of the rare few who enjoyed Zellweger's mostly ill-advised return to Jonesland, 2004's Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason.

So, I have plenty of reasons to be excited about this musical adaptation. What do you think?

(ALSO - In other fun theater news, Pushing Daisies pixie Anna Friel will be taking over for Audrey Hepburn in a stage adaptation of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Hmm ... I think I like that.)

No comments: