Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Put the Go in Gokey!


Well done, America!

After ten trying weeks, we've finally given the boot to this nation's creepiest, growliest, Robert Downey, Jr. doppelgangeriest ghoulish widower -- that talentless hack known as Danny Gokey. From the very moment he charged our TV screens, awash in saccharine producer-driven sympathy packaging and hoisting photos of his late wife, there was something screamingly wrong about this worship leader from Wisconsin.

Maybe it was his tuneless axe jobs at popular American songs (he clearly did not get the memo that you're not supposed to understand the words in Earth, Wind and Fire's "September"). Maybe it was his self-indulgent "swagga" -- to borrow a phrase from Kara DioGuardi, this nation's worst invention since the Snuggie. Maybe it was the way he said "thank you" to the AI crowd after every performance, like this was the Atlanta leg of his 37-city tour, not Disco Week on a reality TV show. Maybe it was that dying cat note he tacked on the end of "Dream On." Whatever it was, he just didn't jibe with me.

His shtick robbed us of the bluesy grit of Alexis Grace, the sultry twang of Jesse Langseth, the clear, sure voice of Ricky Braddy, the drop-dead gorgeous that was Megan Joy Corkrey. He overstayed his welcome, and I'm glad he's gone.

Next week will be a finale for the ages. Kris and Adam both stand an equal shot of winning this thing, and both may be just about equally deserving. Who are you gunning for? I haven't picked my favorite yet, but I know I'll be refreshing DialIdol like a fiend next Tuesday. I'm an Idol worshipper. It's a curse.

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

I love Kris to death and Adam kind of makes my life. I'll be happy with either of them. Although I did kind of want an Adam-Danny final just to see Adam kick Danny's ass.

And yes, Danny robbed us of so many good voices. And pretty people. Really, really pretty people. Nice one, kid. :P

Melissa said...

I knew Kris was safe when Ryan said in the beginning that the results were surprising since a nonsurprising result would have been Danny/Adam. Kris has been my favorite since country week but I respect Adam's talent and did enjoy some of his slower songs. I didn't hate Danny but I just never liked his style. And I miss Ricky Braddy too!